Star of the Show: Aubergine and Dark chocolate
Aubergines are a high fibre, low carbohydrate vegetable packed with antioxidants making them fabulous for gut health and blood sugar management. Adding flavanoid rich dark chocolate to them makes a perfect gut friendly treat.
INGREDIENTS (Makes 12 cupcakes or brownies):
1 medium sized aubergine ( about 200g) peeled and chopped
160 g dark chocolate (70% cacao or above)
60 g medjool dates chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
80g ground almonds / almond meal
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C.
2. Steam the aubergine for 15 minutes until it’s soft (or microwave it in less time).
3. Put it in the mixing bowl of your food processor without the blade and stir in the chocolate and coconut oil. The warmth of the aubergine will melt the chocolate and oil. Add the chopped dates and salt.
4. Put the blade back into your food processor and blitz mixture until smooth.
5. By now it should be cool enough to add the eggs and baking powder. Mix again until combined and then add in the ground almonds.
6. Pour into a medium-sized baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes. It is cooked when a knife comes out clean.
Alternatively, divide the mixture into a 12-hole cupcake tray lined with paper cases, and bake for about 15-20 minutes.
They are delicious on their own or if you like you could serve with some natural yogurt or a chia jam/ berry coulis.