Star of the Show: Oats
Having oats in the morning is a great way to start the day. They are complex carbohydrate, rich in soluble fibre. This helps us release energy slowly, keeping us full and preventing swings in blood sugar levels.
Makes circa 8 large bars or 16 small squares
2 tbsp melted coconut oil or butter
150g mashed banana
250g oats (gluten free if necessary)
150ml milk of choice
2 tbsp of maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla essence
150g frozen blueberries
2 tsp cinnamon
1 handful of chopped nuts (we like walnuts) or seeds (we like pumpkin) if taking to school.
1. Preheat oven to 180c. Grease a 8-10” square baking tin with a little butter or coconut oil.
2. Add all of the ingredients together, folding in the blueberries last.
3. Pour the batter in to the greased baking tin and cook for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
4. Allow to cool completely before slicing.
5. These also freeze really well - just take them out to defrost the night before.