Star of the Show: Quinoa
If you are looking at cutting down on your grains, quinoa makes a great nutritional substitute. This Peruvian seed is packed full of protein, fibre, iron, magnesium and folate.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
1 cup vegetable stock
1 x 400gm can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 sweetcorn, cooked
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
Juice and zest of 1 lime
1 chilli, finely chopped
handful of coriander, chopped
2tbsp olive oil
1. Rinse and drain the uncooked quinoa. This removes the bitter taste. Place in a saucepan and add the stock.Bring to the boil and then turn the heat down and simmer for 10-15 minuets until all the liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
2. Cook the sweetcorn in a pan of boiling water (this also works well with leftover corn from the BBQ). Slice the corn off and place in a bowl.
3. Finely chop the onion and add to the bowl with the black beans and avocado. Add the fresh herbs and chilli and quinoa.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the lime juice and zest, olive oil and season to taste.
5. Add the dressing to the salad ingredients and mix well.