Star of the Show: Chickpeas
Not only are chickpeas a complex carbohydrate, rich in soluble fibre but they are a good source of protein. Including them in a sweet treat helps curb the rise in blood sugar and makes this a satisfying afternoon snack.
NB to make this Gluten Free - substitute the flour for GF Oats
1 cup sugar of choice (we like coconut sugar or xylitol if you don't have any tummy issues)
3/4 cup melted coconut oil or butter
2 large egg whites
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 can chickpeas drained and pureed in food processor
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oats (gluten free if necessary)
1 1/2 cups dark chocolate (70% and above) chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180c. Line a baking tray with baking paper
2. Puree the chickpeas in a food processor and then transfer to a separate bowl
3. Beat the sugar and butter/oil till smooth in the food processor
4. Then add in chickpea, vanilla, egg whites, oats and baking powder and mix on low till a thick dough forms
5. Finally stir in the chopped chocolate.
6. Using a tablespoon drop the mixture onto the baking sheet and then use back of spoon to flatten the cookies
7. Bake for 11-13 minutes until golden. Allow to cool fully on a rack.