Star of the Show: Quinoa
This Peruvian seed is a great replacement for rice making it a lighter option. Quinoa is high in fibre and a good source of plant based protein. It also contains the anti inflammatory and anti viral compounds quercitin and kaempferol. Make sure you rinse the quinoa before cooking to wash off the saponins which can give the quinoa a bitter taste.
Ingredients: (Serves 2)
400ml chicken stock
4 boneless and skinless chicken thighs*
2 garlic cloves, crushed
approx 10 cherry tomatoes
1/2 zucchini, sliced
1 red onion, finely sliced
1 pepper, any colour, sliced
1/2 lemon, juice and zest
10 black olives, pitted and halved
1 large handful of flat leaf parsley, shredded
1tbsp olive oil
2tsp smoked paprika
1. Preheat the oven to 200C
2. Rinse the quinoa in cold water. Place in a pan with the stock and simmer for 10-15 minutes until cooked.
3. Whilst the quinoa is cooking, place the chicken thighs on a baking tray, season with salt and pepper and 1tsp of the smoked paprika and a little of the olive oil. Place in the oven for 20 minutes or until cooked through
4. In a frying pan with the rest of the oil add the onions, garlic and pepper and cook for 5 minutes until soft. Add the zucchini and cherry tomatoes and cook for another 4 minutes.
5. Add the cooked quinoa and olives to the pan and stir well. Add the lemon juice and zest and mix through
6. Place the chicken on top of the paella and stir in the parsley
TNT Notes: You can use 2 small chicken breasts here. Just adjust the cooking time accordingly