Star of the Show: Chickpeas
Chickpeas or garbanzo beans as they are known, are a great source of plant protein and dietary fibre. These family friendly burgers make a great choice for a Meat Free Monday and are lovely cold in a packed lunch box.
INGREDIENTS: (Makes 6 Burgers)
100gms Quinoa (uncooked)
200gms Frozen Sweetcorn
1x400gm can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
1tsp ground cumin
1tsp ground coriander
4 spring onions, finely chopped
1 large handful of coriander or flat leaf parsley
50gms sesame seeds
1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
Salt & Pepper to season
1. Cook quinoa as per packet instructions. Set aside
2. Defrost sweetcorn by covering with boiling water and leave to sit for 10 mins.
3. Place the drained chickpeas into a frying pan and with the coriander paprika and cumin, heat through to remove the moisture.
4. Drain the sweetcorn and tip half the chickpeas, quinoa, parsley into a bowl and using a hand held blender whizz until combined. Add the remaining quinoa, chickpeas, spring onions and chilli and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Divide into 6 burgers and place in the fridge for 20 minutes to set.
6. Add a little oil to a frying pan and cook the burgers for 4 mins on each side. Sprinkle sesame seeds on both sides of the burger and cook for another 2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
7. Serve in a bun with salad or use a lettuce leaves instead of a bun for a 'naked variety'.